Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Millets, little wonder grains

I'm used to some millets lik Ragi, Jowar and Bajra. We used to use them in small quantities now and then. I'm now discovering some other millets that were once quite easily available and were eaten widely.

I tried Foxtail millet and Little millet. They are tasty and can easily be substituted for rice. The names of some millets are given below

English - Kannada - Tamil - Hindi

Great Millet/Sorghum - Jola - Cholam - Jowari
Pearl Millet - Sajje/bajra - Kambu - Bajra
Finger Millet - Ragi - Ragi - Ragi
Foxtail millet - Navane - Tenai - Kakum
Little Millet - Same - Samai - Shavan
Proso Millet - Baragu - Pani Varagu - Chena/Barri
Kodo Millet - Harka - Varagu - Kodon
Barnyard Millet - Oodalu - Kuthiraivolly - Shyama

Cooking method:
It very easy to cook. I've cooked Foxtail and Little millet in this method.For 1 cup of millet add 2 3/4 cup of water and pressure cook till three whistles. Open after 20-30 minutes.

It is very fluffy and has a nice texture. It can be eaten with any kind of curry, sambhar, rasam , curd or buttermilk.We like eating this for dinner now. We might soon start replacing rice with these millets for the afternoon lunch. I'm not sure where I can find this easily in Bangalore. My husband recently purchased these from Coimbatore.

Why Millets? Some advantages
- they are more nutritious than rice. Some are more nutritious than wheat.
- Mineral content is higher than rice and wheat
- More fiber than rice and wheat.
- Non-gluten grains
- they require less water and time to grow
- can grow on poorer soils
- They are pest free so they'll be free from pesticides etc
- They do not demand chemical fertilizers so most of them will be grown in eco friendly conditions.
- Very few millets are hybridized.
- They are cheaper than rice and wheat

So even if you purchase millets that are not labelled as organic, they most likely will be grown in an eco friendly way and might not be hybridized.

With Ragi I make ragi dosa, ragi rotti, ragi ganji, ragi vade and ragi puttu. With Bajra/Kambu I make dosa and ganji. With Jowar/Jola I make bhakri/rotti, dosa and thalipit.

I'll update on my experiments with other millets soon!

More information can be found at http://www.swaraj.org/shikshantar/millets.pdf or www.milletindia.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment